Geographical Location and Population
Bagerhat district has a total area of 3959.11 square kilometers. It is bounded by Gopalganj District and Narail District on the north, The Bay of Bengal on the south, Gopalganj District, Pirojpur District and Barguna District on the east and Khulna District on the west. Main rivers of the district are Panguchi, Daratana, Madhumati River, Pasur River, Haringhata, Mongla River, Baleshwar, Bangra and Goshairkhali.
Bagerghat, under the Khalifabad Pargana, is said to have been founded by Khan Jahan Ali, the ruler of Pargana from 1429-59. The Pargana region also included settlements like Khulna, Satkhira, Jessore and Barisal. After Khan Jahan Ali, the region was taken over by Maharaja Pratapaditya in 1459. Located at the confluence of two historical rivers, the Brahmaputra River and the Ganges, Bagerghat is also known as the Mosque City for the presence of a large number of mosques in the district. The domed structures of the mosques built with bricks in the 15th century is considered an architectural marvel.
Khan Jahan Ali's tomb is one of the main attractions of Bagerhat. The Shat (sixty) Gambuj Mosque built in 1459, considered a most unusual structure in the whole of the Asian sub-continent, has been declared a World Heritage Site. The other places of historical importance in Bagerghat include Pocha Dighi and Ghora Dighi ponds. Bagerghat was declared a district only in 1984. Places of intere
Intangible Cultural Heritage
Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat
The Mosque City of Bagerhat (Bengali: মসজিদের শহর বাগেরহাট) is a formerly lost city, located in the suburbs of Bagerhat city in Bagerhat District, in the Khulna Division of southwest of Bangladesh. Bagerhat is about 15 miles south east of Khulna and 200 miles southwest of Dhaka.
Originally known as Khalifatabad and nicknamed the "mint town of the Bengal Sultanate", the city was founded in the 15th century by the warrior saint Turkish general Ulugh Khan Jahan.
The historic city, listed by Forbes as one of the 15 lost cities of the world, has more than 50 Islamic monuments which have been found after removing the vegetation that had obscured them from view for many centuries. The site has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983 under criteria (iv), "as an outstanding example of an architectural ensemble which illustrates a significant stage in human history", of which the Sixty Pillar Mosq